Skip to main content

Easy way out...of business

In my years of being in distribution, transportation and logistics I have had to work with many sales guys. I understand the importance of the sales team to the business because they ring the cash registers and bring the money in the door, but have you ever known a sales guy where you thought they hurt the business more than they helped? I have.

Now this blog isnt a slam on sales guys and girls, because when Im out selling my company I'm a "sales guy". The freight guys who have helped me over the years solve some of my logistics issues are "sales guys". Even my brother +Ken Adams sells cool Native American art work and jewelry over at +Alltribes Indian Art LLC is a "sales guy" so I'm not really putting this group down, but instead I want to talk about the few individuals who have "sold out" their company rather than "sell for" their company.

I was actually reminded of this today when I had an admin clerk at a company tell me her idiot sales guy didn't follow her directions. She had quoted an expedited air shipment to China a few days earlier with three different major parcel carriers and with us +Gateway Crate and Freight LLC . We were significantly cheaper than the discounted rates they had with those carriers.

After she told me the story I was reminded about a hand full of different sales guys in the past that would consistently do the same thing. "Here is my FedEx account number ship it!" These sales guys dont care anything about comparing rates or services they just operate thinking "the easiest way for me to ship this is just tell them our account number I know and I dont have to do anything else".

As a business owner I would hope that my sales guys would think about whats best for the company not what is best or easist for them. In the instance above we had given a quote of $433 to move this shipment, when the lady called she had explained that she had given the sales guy our information to ship it with us but he instead just gave the people shipping their material the company FedEx account number and it cost $681.

What really upset her was he seems to always do this to her. I told her I have encountered  a few sales people in my past who would do the same thing. After a while these dollar differentials between the easy way out and what a little more work would have entailed really start to add up. Some people won't change and sometimes that can be the easy way out...of business.

Have you ever had any experiences like that? Let us know at www.gatewaycrateandfreight.com





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does your delivery need a C.O.I?

In the Transportation Logistics world insurance is required for pretty much everything. General Liability, Motor Truck, Contingent Cargo and Marine Cargo as well as coverage's like Errors and Omissions and Workman's Compensation. You would think by needing all this coverage that moving cargo around the world and into someones business or their home is a pretty risky endeavor. It is! Gateway O.T performs Inside and White Glove delivery services where the building owner or management company requires us to prove we have sufficient insurance coverage while in or on their property. Our Crate and Freight division performs on site packing and crating services for large corporations that require we meet their minimum insurance requirements before we enter their property. Large corporations carry many insurances but have to minimize their risk of claims against those policies by ensuring that the outside contractors they utilize have the coverage needed in case of an accident

You won your Online Auction? Now What?

Gateway Crate and Freight gets a lot of work from people who win online auctions from out of town. Most of these people are out of state and some are even in other countries. We have picked up auction items such as antiques, restaurant equipment, computers, water meter readers, and even a walk through metal detector. Many of our clients do their due diligence BEFORE bidding or purchasing items they may win. Contacting us for a quote on picking up, packing, palletizing, crating and shipping these items gives the prospective buyer a good idea about how much of a "deal" they are actually getting after factoring in packing and transportation. Those that buy first and figure out logistics later find out that the road to great deals online starts with understanding the costs of the entire project, not just the purchase price of the item. Lets look at a recent Gateway Crate and Freight auction purchase project. A Security company in Baltimore, Maryland won an online auc

Is your SMB shipping process at risk from 3PL systems mergers?

If you are a small to medium sized business that sells or distributes products, you have most likely heard of Unishippers and Worldwide Express, the 3PL parcel and freight rate re sellers. They both offer discounted shipping rates through their online shipping systems (TMS) and both offer multiple shipping service coverage ranging from parcel all the way up to truckload. For the years I spent managing distribution and supply chains I probably had the privilege of meeting dozens of representatives from both of these companies. Each one offering me better rates or better services than the other. At times, I utilized their shipping systems to my companies advantage.  When I learned that Worldwide Express and UniShippers were merging I couldn't help but recall the countless times the reps would question the others system, process or service offering. Most of this was to try to gain my shipping volume, I understand that, but sometimes it even turned personal, one agent despi